ABBE participates in an interlibrary loan (ILL) program where libraries from across the nation will provide items from their collections to each other. This makes a broader range of materials available to you.
Borrowing Interlibrary Loan Materials
- The person making the request must:
- Be a valid library cardholder
- Have no current overdue materials
- Have fines totaling no more than $5.00
- Be 14 years or older
- Patrons may request up to five titles at one time.
- Patrons may only request the same title twice within a calendar year.
- ABBE will not accept Interlibrary Loan requests for paperback books which cost less than $8.00 unless they are out of print.
- Interlibrary Loan Request Forms can be filled out in person at a library service desk, by telephone, or via iBistro
- Interlibrary loan materials circulate for 14 days.
- Interlibrary loan materials must be returned to the ABBE
library from which they were checked out.
- The ABBE Regional Library System will pass on to patrons any fees imposed by the lending library.
- Overdue fines for interlibrary loan materials are one dollar ($1.00) per day.
- Patrons are responsible for items lost or damaged while in their possession.
- Failure to pay fees assessed by the lending library or failure to pick up requested materials will be grounds for the suspension of library privileges.
Photocopies or faxes of articles from periodicals are also available via Interlibrary loan. The charge for this varies depending on the library who owns the periodical, but is usually around $10.00 per article. Any charges for article requests received from the lending library are passed on to the patron.
Renewals for interlibrary loan items are determined by the lending library, not ABBE. A renewal request can be placed for your item but cannot be guaranteed. As a general rule, libraries do not grant renewals on interlibrary loan items. Before your item is due, contact the ABBE library where the item was picked up to initiate a renewal request.